Today, I hated being a mom. I didn't hate my children, I just hated being their mom.
It started out with my wakeup call being Van with a mouthful of gum from my purse. That type of situation can really forecast the rest of the day.
Ethan asked if I would drive to Provo so he could drop off the rental van from yesterdays event and then bring him home. So I quickly breakfasted everyone and got them dressed. I wasn't able to get a shower and get dressed for the day and that is usually a pretty good precursor for a crappy day.
So we drove to Provo, the boys crying and fighting all the way. We drove home just in time for lunch, which was going to be almost impossible because the kitchen and the whole house was still a morning disaster. So to El Pollo Loco for black bean BRCs.
We get home, send Ethan off on his way for another event and ate lunch. And then I had had it. The house was a grade A disaster. I will go through the list.
1. Kitchen sink full of dishes, dishwasher full of clean ones, counter messy, table still has breakfast on it, kitchen floor disgusting.
2. Toys EVERYWHERE. Van has finally started to actually play with toys, but that just means he makes giant messes. So every single toy was out. Boxes emptied and toys everywhere.
3. Laundry is needing some tending to. Jack is on his last pair of boxer briefs, Violet doesn't have any PJ's left and I am wearing my last pair of G's. So about 5 loads of laundry need to be done.
4. Van's car seat got teriyaki sauce spilled in it from last night's take out (last night is a whole different chaotic story) so it needs to be washed. He has just been sitting on towels in his carseat until I wash it.
5. I think the kitchen floor needs another mention. It needs sweeping and mopping.
6. My room is also a disaster. Heater and ironing board in the middle of the room. Clothes everywhere, bed unmade, toys all over. Something about my room: IT'S MINE! I hate toys in my room. Hate. My room is the one place in the house that is mine. The place I know is clean all the time. I even keep it locked during the day so as to keep little mischievous people out. But this morning, you would have thought it was the boy's room.
7. All carpet needed vacuuming. Badly.
So we got to work. And the complaining flowed like fine wine. Oh wait- how about fine whine??? Pretty clever eh? We made a list and got to work. About 2 hours later and my yeller was yelled out, the house was clean. Toys in their right places. Carpet vacuumed. Floors mopped. Washer and dryer humming away. All was well... until the 5 o'clock's hit. Damn it, I hate 5:00. My kids get restless and hungry, they fight incessantly, Van screams like a banshee (Vanshee) straight from hell. So I thought I would pack up the brood and go to the dollar store.
When all else fails, go to the dollar store.
But of course, Van was embarrassingly terrible at the dollar store and then they just fought over who played with what toys and blah blah blah.
I did have a small grocery list, just a couple of things to complete dinner etc. So I sat in the car after the dollar store and made a list. I think it sums everything up perfectly.
It is now 8:00 and all 3 children are asleep. I have about 3 loads of laundry to fold and about 15 pieces of Dove Peanut Butter Promises to eat. And at this point, I can't help but think: "Why would anyone have more than 3 children?"
You 3+ children people are nuts.