Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Crying

Jack has an ear infection. Boo. And that means he can't finish swimming lessons. After the doctor's appointment, while Jack was preoccupied with the tropical fish tank, I asked the nurse if this infection means no more swimming lessons and she said yes. My heart sank.

I called Jack and Van to go to the door and I pushed Violet's little umbrella stroller out. We got out into the hall and to the elevator. Jack pushed the button and I said, "Son, we need to talk about something." I broke the news to him. His face got red, his eyes started to fill with tears and his head dropped down. I told him to come over to me and he fell into my arms. He cried and cried. And cried.

We talked about the time when I shattered my two fingers at Lake Powell. I told him how the doctor said I couldn't play soccer with the rest of my friends that fall. I still remember the feeling of my eyes getting hot and red. I cried and cried. But I ended up okay. And Jack will too.

To try and makeup for swimming lessons being no more, I told him we would go to Thanksgiving Point after nap time and ride a horse at Farm Country. And in a snap, he switched gears. He smiled and said, "I can dress up like a cowboy and pretend I am a army cowboy and get the bad guys!"

I think Jack will be just fine.