Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's all in how you say it

Both are true, but which sounds less pretentious?

"Today, I sat outside with my kids while they rode scooters, drew with chalk and had snacks."

Or

"Today, I sat outside on my lime green Adirondack-style lawn chair while my children rode on their Razor scooters, drew with the chalk we got from Ikea and ate fresh blueberries and organic pretzels."

It's all in how you say it. Amazing how a few details and adjectives can make one look like a total Summer's Eve.

3 comments:

  1. I've grown to believe that those who use the aforementioned adjectives do so because they think they are writing with description, and are therefore good writers. It's like Faulkner... only more boring. (Nothing against Faulkner I just lack the attention span necessary.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahahahahahahaha.
    you know i love you right? for reals.

    ReplyDelete