Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Utah

At this very very moment, there is the grandest thunderstorm outside. I opened the back door and front door and let it's breeze stream through my house. I feel like it is maybe God's gift to me for doing the laundry. Sometimes we all have stupid ideas and mine was to do all the laundry during the 4th of July weekend. Idiot. I didn't have enough time to sleep, much less tend to textile management. So I just started over a load that has been in the washing machine for 2 days. I have towels and swim suits and table clothes all judging me as they sit in piles on the floor. "That stupid woman, just get your act together and wash us."

4th of July was fantastic. Let's see if I can give you the short version. BTW, it was all very American. That was the goal- have a very American 4th of July.

Lawn mowing
Sonic Route 44's
Blueberry pancakes
Sidewalk chalk
Tree swing
Slippy slide
Water balloons
Big, glorious vegetable garden
Lynard Skynard
Homemade oreos
Guacamole
Carne asada
Horchata
Uncooked tortillas (what a revelation!)
Shasta
Coca Cola
AERIAL FIREWORKS!

Fine, asada, guac and horchata aren't super American. But they are delicious. So they got to come to the party too.

Official Statement: FOURTH OF JULY IS 100 TIMES BETTER IN UTAH THAN IT IS IN CALIFORNIA. I don't know what it is, but after living there for plenty of years and plenty of years here, I can officially give a you correct analysis that America is celebrated right in Utah.

Name-dropping: Credit goes to the Verbecky's for knowing how to celebrate the 4th right. We spent the entire day with them and we had the greatest time.

6 comments:

  1. Given the large influx of our Latino brothers and sisters, asada, guac, and horchata are American.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen, and amen. And amen again. I have missed a real July 4th celebration going on 14 years now (save the one year we went to Utah for the 4th). You can't explain it to people who haven't experienced it. They simply don't know what they're missing.

    oh, and I rewashed a load of mildew clothes today, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you not know about uncooked tortillas before now, and how did I miss the horchata and homemade oreos?

    Did you see my blog post for the best 4th of July photo ever?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dunno Shannon... there be lots of Mormons in Utah... You might turn into one if you aren't careful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds fantastic. and i agree with your mom, asada, guac and horchata are definitely needed! mmmmmmm delicious!

    ReplyDelete