Sunday, November 13, 2011

ROAST RECIPE!

Sundays consist of organization and planning. More that than actual spiritual enlightenment at this point in my life. That's why personal home scripture and gospel study is so essential when you have kids. We do church to create patterns and habits for our children. And if I get a change to feel the Spirit, it's a winner day. Today was both. Between the little girl ripping her hair bow out and the bags of pretzels and peanuts, I got sit in on a lesson on the gathering of Israel that was superbly given by the RS teacher. Truly, she did an amazing job.

After church, we drove home in Ethan's new truck and once in the driveway, I sat in the car for a few moments, relaxing in the large, cushy passenger seat, gearing up for the moment when everyone needs to barrel inside and be stripped of their Sunday duds and they need food.

Well, I actually had Ethan do that part. I got busy getting a chocolate cake in the oven and getting my beautiful Sunday roast on the heat. Sundays are the day I get to really cook. When Ethan is home and he can take care of all juvenile needs and let me do my thing in the kitchen. I made a great chocolate cake (Auntie Shar's recipe) and it was served with some vanilla ice cream made earlier in the week. Dinner was a success. I threw together a recipe for pot roast and Ethan said it was the best meal I had ever made. I will write it out and post it on here. Because I am feeling nice.

After dinner, I was on dish duty whilst Ethan was on children cleaning duty. Once all bathed, Violet decided she had definitely had enough of the day and she screamed like Satan's little helper until she was given a sippy cup and put into her bed. The boys watched "Mars Needs Moms" and then were tucked tightly into their beds.

It was a great day. It was great because we all jived. No huge fights or disagreements. There was team work with Ethan and I and good food. Days like this are nice and few. But still nice.

HAPPY SUNDAY POT ROAST WITH ROOT VEGGIES
Kosher salt and pepper
Flour
2-3 pound beef chuck roast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
3 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
1 rutabaga, peeled and chopped
2 cups beef stock


Set oven to 325 degrees. 


Season the roast with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on flour and rub it all over the roast, pressing it into the meat. In a large cast iron dutch oven over medium high heat, add olive oil. Once oil is very hot, add roast and brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan and set aside. Remove the pan from the heat to cool off a bit. Add pan back onto the heat and add the onion and rosemary. Saute until the onion is softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute. Push all the onion to the sides of the pan and add the roast back in. Add all the vegetables and the beef stock. Cover and braise in the oven for 2 hours. Remove roast from the pan and slice and serve with the veggies. 


With the pan you use, I would prefer you use a cast iron enameled dutch oven. Those are ideal for even heat distribution and a perfect seal on the lid. If you don't have one of those, get yourself to TJ Maxx or Marshalls and look for one there. They have those on sale often. My newest one is 7 quarts and was $75. For a roast like this, don't use anything smaller than 6.75 quarts. As for what brand, any will do. I have a real Le Creuset one, a Sam's Club one and a Cuisinart one and really, I can say they all do the same thing the same way. If you don't have a cast iron dutch oven, you could brown the meat and onions etc in a skillet and then add everything to a roast pan and cover it very tightly with foil and that will work fine. BTW, chances are, you won't have any pan juices left because the potatoes absorb them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment