Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas came!

Christmas came and went. All went well. Good food was eaten, gifts were unwrapped, house destroyed, toys EVERYWHERE.

Christmas Day began with Van coming in my room and announcing to me that he knew what everyone got in their stockings. Turns out he emptied everything out of them and put it all into a big pile on the couch. Luckily, Jack hadn't seen yet, so I had a chance to spank Van and then put everything back in the right stocking.

Stockings this year were much more low-key than usual. Instead of a bunch of cheap candy, the boys got a few nice chocolate truffles and a big, thick candy cane. And instead of a bunch of dollar toys, they got a few nice, more expensive toys. Stuff that won't break in a week. And everyone got a new buzzy toothbrush.

After breakfast etc, we drove to Salt Lake on the empty freeways to pick up Daddy Darling. We picked him up at the curb and him and I switched seats. As we drove over to the 15, Ethan instructed me to reach under my seat. Under the seat was a little box and in it was a topaz and white gold necklace and earrings. Classy fella, that Ethan. The car I had driven around in for the last few days had a gift hiding in it and I didn't even know. So now, I have a topaz among my jewels! (Go watch "Gigi".)

Once home, the children opened the gifts that Santa Neighbor left in our house while we were gone. Things like air craft carriers, pirate boats, new backpacks, new shoes, ponies, movies, puzzles, bike pegs and nesting dolls were opened. The best gift was a big, heavy box from my MIL full of Trader Joe's goodies. Truly, that woman knows me too well. Bless her.

Since the gents were in a toy coma, Ethan and I snuck away for a long, luxurious NAP. Good golly, best 2 hours of my day. And the boys- they just played army for two hours. Oh, except for when I woke up and called down the stairs and said, "What are you guys doing?" And as the sound of ethereal music floated upstairs, I heard Van say, "We awe doing yoga!" Looks like they found the kid yoga DVD I bought them.

In a quick, mad rush, we piled into the car and headed to Grandma Sue and Grandpa Jack's house. Between bites of coconut shrimp soup and terrible tasting fudge from some unknown neighbor, my children and their cousins unwrapped an unrealistic amount of gifts from various family members. Nerf everything, blond pig-tailed baby dolls, joke kits, bouncy horses, Spiderman everything and the very best one of all, a real Radio Flyer wagon for Vanny Boy. My parents have no stop button. It was like Christmas all over again. By the end of it all, Violet was inconsolable with overstimulation. The poor baby just wanted to nestle in with Grandpa and suck her thumb. The boys on the other hand, they were busy with that wagon, or as Van calls it, his "dragon".

When we got home, I sat on the couch in the dark and stared at our multi-colored Christmas tree. Good heavens, we are blessed. Not the blessed with toys and the "things" of Christmas, but blessed with family, happiness, warmth, comfort and peace. How did I get to be so lucky? And also, how did I eat so much sugar and butter in two days? To try and tell my body I do actually love it, I spent part of my morning swimming laps at the community pool.

Merry Christmas to you and yours! I hope you were able to feel that same content, peaceful feeling I felt.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gigi, not to be confused with "Gigli" *shudders* Merry Christmas, Ethan/Whitney Ingrams! :)

    ReplyDelete