Thursday, January 26, 2012

Recipe for Thai Coconut Curry Soup with Chicken

Here is where I food blog for a sec. I am sharing a recipe that I am certain I will never put into a future cookbook. I keep all my clever recipes for my book(s). I share this because I know it is not authentic. I like authenticity in recipe. I like traditions. I hate recipes that demolish that. Like Southwestern Egg Rolls. Ugh. I have been guilty of making recipes like that in the past. But I have gotten wise and realized the error of my ways. While I know this recipe isn't authentic, it isn't too far off the beaten path.

This is an uncomplicated soup and a little bit different than the usual winter time soup. Jack loves this stuff. He says he likes it's "sweet hotness". Van has been a little harder to convince. But this last time I made this, he gobbled it up. I think it was because I eased up on the heat a bit. BTW, feel free to make this vegetarian and don't add any chicken.

And no, there is no picture with this. Get over it.

Try it, you'll like it.


Thai Coconut Curry Soup with Chicken
3 15 ounce cans coconut milk
1 cup water
1 tablespoons massaman curry paste, or whatever curry paste you prefer
3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 russet potato, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
A few shakes of fish sauce
Cooked white rice, for serving
A handful of cilantro leaves, chopped


In a large pot over medium high heat, add coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil and whisk in curry paste. Stir in chicken thighs, potato, carrots and onion. Boil for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the soup is reduced and slightly thickened and the chicken is cooked through. Stir in sugar and fish sauce. Serve with a big scoop of rice on top and a sprinkling of cilantro. 


Yields 6ish servings. 

Rookie's Notes: With the curry paste, I would recommend you start with 1 tablespoon and then taste and add as necessary. I usually end up adding 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons. There are some feisty curry pastes out there that can surprise you with their heat. Where to get good curry paste? Try your local Asian market. It's cheaper than the regular grocery store and has much more flavorful.  Sign of good curry paste? The can has only a few English words on it and mostly Thai words.

2 comments:

  1. If I'd seen this, I would have added it to today's list. :) Been working on a red curry soup myself, loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is the chicken cooked first or does it cook in the soup?

    ReplyDelete