Thursday, February 23, 2012

Kalli's Coconut Granola

Thursday has turned into granola day. I pull out the oats, flax, nuts, coconut ect and make Kalli's granola. We go through quite a bit of this stuff. I usually making a new batch every week. It is my absolute favorite. And my kids like it too. It tastes especially great at 10:00 at night. And even better after a good gym swim.


What is so great about this 'nola? It is chewy and moist. Not dry. You get crunch from the nuts and chewy from the oats. Honey and coconut oil make for a perfect binder. There is no added sugar, just good raw honey. No raw honey at your grocery store? Whatever honey you've got is fine. If you can get local honey, even better. Local honey is said to help allergies. Makes sense to me.

Kalli's Coconut Granola
recipe by Kalli Verbecky
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup All-Bran cereal (look for the box of little pieces called Bran Buds. Those are my fave.)
1 cup powdered milk
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (I prefer pecans in this, but you can use a combination of any kind of nuts)
3 tablespooons ground flax seed
1 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup raw honey
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon kosher salt


Set oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon until combined and then using your hands, work the honey into the dry ingredients, combining well. Spread granola onto two baking sheets and spread into an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheets completely and then transfer to a big jar or Ziploc bag for storage. 

4 comments:

  1. yum. i keep thinking about making this but then i never do. where do you get coconut oil...sunflower market?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah well, to be fair I got it from my friend Christy and made some adjustments. But yes, it's pretty much perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it's kid-tested and approved at my house. I want to try making some granola bars with it; any tips for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried this without the powdered milk? We are dairy intolerant.

    ReplyDelete