Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter

Today is Easter Sunday. My buttermilk cakes are out of the oven and cooling, waiting to be doused with sugar syrup and swathed in whipped cream. My boys are reading books and eating candy from their Easter baskets. Violet and Ethan are at the store, breaking the sabbath because we forgot heavy cream at the store.

A few years back, I decided to not do an Easter egg hunt on Easter Sunday because I thought it took away from the spirit of real Easter. A while ago, I told them the sad news that the Easter bunny is a crock. They didn't care in the least. As you might remember, I have a hard time with made-up characters used to disguise religious holidays. For some families, it works. For mine, it doesn't. To each his own.

This next week is Spring Break. I would like to commend Alpine School District for scheduling Spring Break with Easter weekend. Well done. I have lots of great things planned for our break. Hikes, movies, museums. My kids are getting older and it's getting easier to do real kid stuff instead of baby stuff. Glory be!

Yesterday I walked with Van to the lake. Utah Lake is a 10 minute walk from my house. In other parts of the area, the lake is dirty and loud with boats. But by us, it is quiet and peaceful. There are so many animals that make their home by our side of the lake. Van was in heaven. Taking him to the lake reminded me of how much my kids need to be out in nature. In the dirt and puddles and carrying big sticks.

Happy Easter to you and yours. I hope you are able to remember that Easter is about our brother, Jesus Christ and His selfless sacrifice. I have a testimony of Jesus Christ. I know He is real. I know He is our ultimate example. I hope I can remember that not just today, but always.


2 comments:

  1. gosh, i always read your posts, but i never comment anymore. it's because all that ever comes to my mind after i read something from you is "i just really like whitney".
    happy easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete