Thursday, May 24, 2012

Quinoa and Black Bean Taco Salad

This is going on my 2012 dining awards. This was AWESOME. And I didn't feel a bit guilty eating it. No creamy dressing. No sour cream or cheese. 

This salad started with the picture from Lizzy's Instagram feed. A quinoa and black bean salad. I took my method of cooking quinoa and beans (a salad recipe in my cookbook uses this method) and then topped it with loads of fresh veg. Oh heaven. You must try this!



Quinoa and Black Bean Taco Salad
recipe by Whitney Ingram
2 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
Chopped romaine lettuce
Chopped tomatoes
Fresh salsa
Diced avocado
Minced fresh cilantro
Lime wedges


Set a large saucepan over high heat and add water and salt. Once boiling, add quinoa and black beans. Boil, uncovered, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is sputtering, about 10-12 minutes. Turn heat to low and simmer until all liquid is evaporated, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and allow quinoa and beans to cool.

In a bowl, add a scoop of quinoa and beans. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, avocados, cilantro and lime wedges.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe! I was looking at my Costco sized bag of quinoa just yesterday and wishing that I had some new recipes to use it in. This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excitted to try this!

    ReplyDelete