Monday, December 17, 2012

Groceries, Feeding and Privilege

I had a revelation about myself the other day. I like bringing order to things. Things like my house. I came home from a solo grocery shopping trip (Heaven. I wear headphones and listen to music and take my sweet time.), and my house wasn't exactly clean. Toys on the floor, a few dishes in the sink, laundry needing attention and all my groceries needed to be put away. So I put on my apron, which is something I do when I mean business, and got to work. I put the girl down for a nap, put a movie on for the boy and proceeded to bring order to my home. I cleaned, put away, swept, laundered and folded. And then I made dinner rolls and a big pot of corn chowder. A few hours later, my house was clean and filled with smells of bread and soup. It was the most satisfying afternoon I have had in a while. I just like my homemaker life. I am lucky to be able to do it everyday.

Guess what, I have a new calling at church. I am in charge of food for girls camp for our stake. So like 200 people for a week of camping. I don't know if I am even allowed to talk about it because I haven't been officially sustained in church, but I am talking about it anyways. I am overwhelmed with the responsibility. I take food and feeding people seriously. I do it well or I don't do it at all. Camp will not be an exception. I can do this, right? Last Saturday, I woke up and went on a run. I just needed to close out distractions and little voices needing graham crackers and their bums wiped. I ran and ran (best run of my life, by the way) and planned out camp in my brain. All the food and how I was going to do it. Now I just need someone to do it for me. No? I don't just get to have the ideas? Oh well. I suppose I will make this thing come to fruition.

We are doing a new behavioral system in our house and it's going really well. We are doing just what Jack's school teacher does because he responds really well to it at school. We have a chart and on the top it has 4 categories. Loss of privilege, check yourself, excellent effort and way to go. Each boy has a paper clip with their name on it and everyday, they start in the middle. They can go up or down from there. Where ever they are at the end of the day is what they get. If they get "way to go" 3 times, they get to pick out of my prize basket, which is full of flippin' sweet prizes. If they get to "loss of privilege", they are screwed. It could be missing out on movie night, going to bed early the next day or getting punched in the face (kidding). Just losing out on something fun. Like maybe on purpose, I will plan a yummy dessert, just do they have to miss out on it. Anyways, it's all going really well. The boys are all about it. You should try it.

1 comment:

  1. " Like maybe on purpose, I will plan a yummy dessert, just do they have to miss out on it." LOVE THIS. I SO use this tactic regularly and make things up that my kids are losing/missing out on:)

    ReplyDelete