Tuesday, March 19, 2013

At the moment

At the moment:

There are 5 little boys in my backyard playing and 4 of them aren't mine. Want to be the most popular house in your 'hood? Get a trampoline, a bike ramp and a freezer full of popsicles.

Jack is finishing up his 20 minutes of reading for homework. Reading for him is grueling. He would rather be playing outside with friends, riding his bike or playing his video game. I wish he found calm and solice in reading. I do. He doesn't.

There is a book on my nightstand. "Wheat Belly" by William Davis. It's about how modern wheat is what is making America fat and it displays pretty legit arguments for quitting wheat all together. I am debating going to Kneaders and buying a whole loaf of country French and eating the whole thing with good olive oil and balsamic vinegar before I start getting into this book. I read the introduction and it scared the hell out of me. I know I won't want to eat anymore bread once I get into this book. Luckily, bread isn't my drug. For my husband, bread is his heroine. It wouldn't be too hard for me to give up breads and pastas. Chocolate, on the other hand, that is a whole 'nother ball game.

Violet is upstairs napping in her room under her flowered comforter. Her braided ponytail is about to call it quits for the day and her face is covered with BBQ sauce from lunch and dirt from the backyard. She has been playing outside so much and loving it. Her summer sandals came in the mail today. Red Saltwaters. I buy one pair of sandals for the whole summer for her and Saltwaters will always last.

There are two training wheels in the trash. Van finally manned up and tried to ride a bike without training wheels. We knew he would pick up on it so fast, but he was just being a wimp. "I will wait until I am 5!" He whined and complained about riding on two wheels, but it was worth it to see him and his giant, dimpled smile as he rode around the cul-de-sac. Ps, living in a cul-de-sac is the best.

I still hate paperwork for anything ever. Hate it. Let's outlaw paperwork. Forms, bills, records, permission slips, checks. All of it. Fun fact: whenever I get paper bills in the mail, I throw them away. I pay my bills when I get my shut-off notice or the service is just turned off completely. Yep, I am a loser that way.

I am getting up the gumption to get off my rump and go make dinner. I am trying to gain points with my kids and I am making them nachos for dinner. Chips, cheese, refried beans, chopped bell peppers and corn. And then topped with cilantro and avocados once it's out of the oven.

Ethan has a scratched cornea and is in lots of pain. The eye doc put an eye band-aid on his freaking eyeball. What in the hell is that anyways? How does that even work? He tried to get me to look at his eyeball to see it, but I don't do eyeballs. Gross.

On the counter, there is a small white cake stand piled high with freshly baked brownies. Today has sort of been one of those days. The type of day where you know you are going to eat a ton of butter and sugar and chocolate. And lots of feelings.

On my counter is also my mom's juicer. I thought I would give it a try, you know, this juicing trend you all are talking about these days. Yesterday's pear/carrot/spinach juice was delicious. Today's spinach/cucumber/celery/apple/carrot/mango was horrid. But I gaged it down anyways.


4 comments:

  1. The problem with wheat is GMO's. Do some research on Monsanto and it will make you want to never eat anything ever again. Except that won't work.

    Wish you were here with me. It's almost 10 pm and the boys are swimming in the lit pool while I do this, the air is heavy and warm. Florida has some good points, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. adam has so many scratches on a cornea he has to get a transplant. he is mostly blind in 1 eye. he had the surgery scheduled but the lame nurse booked it for the dr office and not the OR so it had to be rescheduled. adam has major eye problems....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I agree with everything Wheat Belly says, but I don't think Dr. Whatshisface is a very straight talker. Lest anyone attack, they should know my children have been surgically diagnosed with celiac disease and we refrain from wheat, barley, rye, oats, corn, sugar, dairy, and soy products. BUT neither wheat nor rice are actual GMOs (last time I checked) even though they've been genetically modified quite a bit since the days of, oh, Jesus. 'Wheat Belly' felt a bit disingenuous because of that. I think 'Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Foods' is a much better (aka accurate) read. Unfortunately, it will STILL convince you not to eat bread. Wah wah.

    We buy one pair of Salt Waters and one pair of Keens for each kid to last the whole summer. We're a big let's-jump-in-that-muddy-water-hole-while-hiking kind of family so Salt Waters alone aren't quite sufficient, but I think it's a great policy overall. Less is more!

    BTW, I'm not actually sure we've ever met face to face, but I'm in Provo for the week and have invited friends in the area to join us for dinner at a Korean restaurant tomorrow night. Nate and I would both love it if you came! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Erin! Wheat, although has been hybridized over the years like all plants, there is no genetically modified wheat in our system yet.

    Also, Wheat Belly had too many outrageous claims and conclusions to the studies he used. I am the only person I know who literally hated the book. He starts laying out his argument for wheat, but totally turned me off once he decided all carbs were to blame for today's health problems. Still read it, but be skeptical!

    ReplyDelete