Friday, March 22, 2013

Today I am grateful for:

Today I am grateful for:

My independance. My mom raised me and my sisters to be independent. Independent in our choices and responsibilities and never once did she tell us we needed a man to depend on. Yes, in our church, we believe that we cannot get to the highest level in heaven without a husband, but it was taught to us that he would be our equal. I didn't need a man to tell me what to do. I didn't need a man to make my decisions. I didn't need a man to ask permission for things. I could do those things myself. My parents were great examples of that. Once, I remember my dad went on a business trip to London for one whole month. And my mom didn't bat an eye. At least that's how I saw it. Maybe at night, she laid in bed and cried, but I doubt it. My mom used to take us on trips by herself all the time. My mom didn't need my dad to do things for her. It was always her that climbed onto the roof to put the swamp cooler to sleep every fall. I am grateful for my mom's independence everyday. I hear friends talk about their husbands "letting them do things" and I want to barf. Really? Is he your dad? I hear friends talk about how their can't take their kids places without their husbands. Really? Aren't you the mom? I hear friends talk about their husband having to make date night plans. Really? You can't take the initiative? Rant over.

4 comments:

  1. AMEN and AMEN!! Every time I hear phrases like the ones you used I not only want to barf but feel eternally grateful that the relationship that I have with my husband isn't like that in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it. I love when clients write and say, "Oh, my husband says we don't have enough money for that...can't do it." Really? How about, "We don't have money for that." or "I think that's too much."

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with everything in me! except for the not taking my kids places without my husband part. my kids are NUTSOS who like to run in different directions, and i know my limits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. riiiiiight?! drives me batty ... <3 you girl. you are awesome ... your mom is awesome.

    ReplyDelete