Saturday, June 1, 2013

At the moment

At the moment:

I am unloading all my pictures and videos on my phone so I can fill it up again tonight with pictures from Jack's baptism. Yes, Jack is getting baptized tonight. It's a pretty exciting thing for our family. Lots of friends and family are coming and good food will be eaten. I have been preparing for this all week. New set of scriptures, new shirt, tie and shoes, asking people to speak, planning the dinner afterwards. Last night, we took Jack out to dinner with both set of grandparents. And Jack especially enjoyed it because he had his first filet mignon. And the boy was a champ and even knew to order it medium rare.

I have a bag of Costco chocolate-covered coconut almonds sitting next to me. And they are killer. Like an Almond Joy. It's a two pound bag and the children and I have almost eaten the entire thing in 5 days. We don't mess around.

Ethan is catering an event right now. A wedding luncheon. And he had better scoot his buns home quick so he can baptize our kid.

Jack is playing his video game, Lego Star Wars, and Van is upstairs playing games on the iPad. Guys, I don't care how you judge me. Video games keep this house sane. The downtime it provides, especially for wild little boys, is essential around here.

Violet is napping in her comfy bed. Every time she goes down for a nap, she asks me to rub her back. Today, as I laid next to her and rubbed her tiny back, I was overcome with how beautiful she is. Long blond, wavy hair, smooth pink skin, round pink lips, big blue eyes. This horrible world is going to tell her she isn't beautiful. They will tell her that her hair isn't pretty enough and that her skin isn't smooth enough. They will tell her that her curvy body isn't beautiful and that she should change all of it. The thought of that kills me. I wish she didn't have to grow up. It's selfish of me and it's me wanting to take the easy road. Call me lazy, but I just don't want to have the world hate her beauty.

2 comments:

  1. Your last paragraph brought tears to my eyes. .. that's the hardest thing about having children, you never want them to get hurt. Your words are so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last paragraph brought tears to my eyes. .. that's the hardest thing about having children, you never want them to get hurt. Your words are so true.

    ReplyDelete