Tuesday, June 25, 2013

At the moment:

It's a miracle. I am awake and dressed before 8am. Since school got out, my kids will sleep in, or let me sleep in. Like on Sunday, I woke up and looked at the clock on my phone and it was 9:50am. And our church starts at 9. I thought that surely my children would be up at 7 or so and then I would jump into action and get us ready for church. Not so! Note for next time: set an alarm.

I am completely consumed with Girl's Camp food right now. But it's all coming together. Yesterday, I prepped my garage to become the Girl's Camp storage unit. Lucky for me, owning a catering company, I already have all the equipment I could need. Hot boxes, pans, pots, utinsels, grill etc. It's just a matter of getting organized! I can do this, right? I can do this!

There is about 4 brown bananas on the counter downstairs. I am thinking they will become some banana walnut bread this morning. Want the best banana bread recipe ever? Here you go!

Banana Bread
1 1/4 cups  all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
1/2 cup-3/4 cup mix-ins (chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, nuts etc.)


Set the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt and whisk well to combine and set aside. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside. Line with parchment if desired. 
 

In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix well. Add the bananas and mix well. Stir in the flour mixture and mix until just combined, being sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Stir in desired mix-ins, if using.

Transfer batter to the prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn the bread out of the pan and let cool completely on the rack.



Yields 1 large loaf

All this bread talk makes me want pumpkin bread. 

The walls in my house are gross. Paint coming off, hand print stains, marker swipes. I decided that once I am done with Girl's Camp, I am going to paint my house, one room at a time, every night after my kids go to bed. A grayish tan for the whole house, but a light buttery yellow for the kitchen. I don't love painting, but it needs to be done. What is that you say? You love to paint? AWESOME! I will let you 
know when I get started and you can help me! 

I have a little potted African Violet on my kitchen windowsil. Why is it that my Violet is 3 years old and I am just now getting a potted Violet??? You as my friends have failed me. My Violet loves that there is an actual flower with the same name as her. But she seems to think it belongs to her. It's like how Van will go to the Vans outlet and walk around like he owns the place and throws orders out to employees. (No, for reals, he really does. We have to explain his behavior to anyone who works there.) Fun fact about African Violet's: The leaves and flowers cannot get wet or they will rot. The plant has to be watered from the bottom so the roots can soak in the water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment