Thursday, December 19, 2013

Our Christmas Newsletter


Our Christmas card will now and forever be on my blog. I have lost the fire to do christmas cards for the last like 3 years, so I am now forever killing it. But I like writing, so I wrote a Christmas newsletter. You may partake.

Photo by Ashley Thalman Photography

So, here we are. A Christmas newsletter. I don’t think I have ever done one of these bad boys before. It can’t be hard, right? Here we go. 

Like absolutely everyone else, I can say “What a year!” I swear every year is a what-a-year year. But for reals this time, WHAT A YEAR! 

As for me, the mom and wife extraordinaire, I had a few banner moments. Like getting to go visit my sister and her family in Belgium. It was all Belgian waffles, baguettes, and cobblestone streets, just like the movies. A trip that I won’t ever forget, even if I tried. Before going to The Belg, I went to church Girls Camp for a week and made food for 250 hungry teenage girls. During the preparations, I stress ate myself to a ten-pound weight gain. But it was worth it ten times over. Turns out that service makes you feel all good inside. Who knew? Also a big moment: my cookbook came out. It was like having a baby after two years gestation. Look her up on Amazon. The Family Flavor.

Ethan suffered a personal loss this year. It was really hard for him to deal with the pain, and he is still going through the mourning period. But we as a small family have really tried to band together and rise above. The tragedy? The Dodgers didn’t make it to the World Series. To soften the blow, he put in a few stellar rounds of golf. To start the Christmas season off with a bang, a few weeks ago Ethan was driving on the freeway during a snow storm, slipped on the ice and rolled his big truck, affectionately named Big Blue. He fortunately walked away with only a few scratches and profound gratitude that his iPad didn’t break. I mean, forget your life being preserved! At least the iPad is safe! Ethan and I teach the 5 and 6 year olds in our church, and we love it. I tried to tell Ethan that it’s like we are on a date every week but just with a bunch of other kids at the church and talking about church stuff. He begged to differ. 

Jack (8 years old) made a big splash by deciding to get baptized a member of our church back in June. It was an excellent day and we were proud parents. Jack is having a strong year in the 3rd grade and killing it in math, reading, and especially spelling. He will be starting basketball in a few weeks and he curses the snow that covers our cul-de-sac and basketball hoop. He is now a Cub Scout and his favorite thing he has learned is how to write invisible messages with lemon juice. Life-saving skill. Also, he is getting tall. Like up to my shoulder and I am just not sure how I feel about that. 

Van (5 years old) is our proud preschooler sponge, absorbing letters and numbers at a rapid pace. He has started reading words and can’t get enough. But you know what I can get enough of? His hoarding. Bless that little boy, but his need to keep every bit of paper from school or church is going to do me in. His nickname is Mr. Eagle Eye. He can find ANYTHING. Lost earring? Ask Van. Missing sock? Ask Van. Target receipt from 2009? Ask Van. One big event for him this last year was breaking his arm while falling off the monkey bars. I was out of town at church girls camp, so that was a fun phone call to get. So he spent his summer in a big blue cast, luckily waterproof. And the champ rarely complained.

Violet (3 years old) spent her 2013 potty training. Yes, the entire year. We seemed to have different New Year’s resolutions. Mine was to potty train her. Hers was to pee her pants as much as possible. It was a battle at times, but I have reined victorious and she enjoys reaping the benefits, AKA potty treats. Violet has a fondness for puffy dresses, pink, purple, and ponies. She is often found rummaging through the fridge, looking for cucumbers, yogurt, or hard-boiled eggs. Really guys, hard-boiled eggs. She sneaks at least 3 a day. Also, I pray every day that her cute little lisp never goes away. 

So there it is, a Christmas newsletter. 2013 had its ups and downs, but in the end, we are grateful to be a family, have a sound marriage, healthy little kids, and a warm roof over our heads. The blessings are abundant and we know they come from God. How happy we are to celebrate Jesus Christ’s birth together, as a family. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours. 

Warmly, 

The Ingram Family

7 comments:

  1. A stranger loves you Whitney. ..me from albuquerque Nm... :) seriously, your sense of humor kills me. Plus I love your cookbook, and your braised beef stew recipe. Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stranger loves you Whitney. ..me from albuquerque Nm... :) seriously, your sense of humor kills me. Plus I love your cookbook, and your braised beef stew recipe. Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i heart you ... merry christms to you and all the Ingrams!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often read snippets of your posts out loud to my husband so he knows why I'm laughing. love your blog.

    merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often read snippets of your posts out loud to my husband so he knows why I'm laughing. love your blog.

    merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete