Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Resolute!

It's New Year's Eve and I only realized it this morning. I came home from spin class, made myself a gag-worthy smoothie and dropped onto my bed. I told Ethan that tonight was NYE and he said, "So what." Ain't that the truth. When you have kids, this holiday can easily mean nothing. Sure, I could have planned something amazing and fun and memorable. But after Christmas, I have lost steam. So no fancy meal, no party, no bubbly drink. I made pasta and meatballs and salad and then chocolate chip cookies for dessert. We did play Headbanz real quick. And Violet, as you can imagine, is a little bit of a buzz kill and as you are rapid fire-guessing, she just nonchalantly says, "You know it's a zebra, right?".

Even though I have no grand finish for the year, I have been thinking about the resolutions. I never make grand goals. Just little things that are doable so that I can feel pumped that I completed a New Year's resolution. Like 2 years ago, I resolved to take my contact lenses out every night and I did it. Go me! I also quit soda a few years ago. I still brag to my family. I am sure they hate me for it. I don't care. I kicked soda's ass! 

This year, I want to read more. I already have a few used books from Amazon on their way to my door. I also want to be a tea drinker. At least a cup a day. Any tea and book suggestions for me? I feel like reading and drinking tea are a very mature thing to do. So I should do those things. 

My other resolution is to attend the temple once a month. That is completely doable. I might not be able to go with Ethan every time, but that is fine. The nearest temple to us is about 15 minutes away. Certainly once a month, I can steal away for a few hours. I haven't told Ethan yet, but this is his resolution too! 

My last resolution is about that Ethan. I am going to make this year the year that I better my wife skills. And not just in general, specifically for Ethan. I am not a terribly sucky wife. I am actually pretty good at it. But there is always room to be better. Last year, we both took one of those love language tests and it only reiterated what I already know about him. Physical touch and quality time. Duh. But that information is no good unless I apply it. This year, I will apply it. 

Also, I just found out that this year is going to be real interesting at church. Ethan and I teach primary together and for 2014, we will be teaching seventeen 6 year olds. Yes, 17. Let it be known that I was asked beforehand if we could handle it and I said yes. So yes, we can rock this thing. But for just a minute, marinate in the idea of SEVENTEEN SIX YEAR OLDS. SEVENTEEN. I can't stop laughing about it. 

2 comments:

  1. seventeen 6 year olds is insane. i can't even….

    also, you asked, so here i go. books:
    the literary guernsey and potato peel pie society by mary ann shaffer & annie barrows, moloka'i by Alan Brennert, a kids book "the dread crew" by kate inglis and a town like alice by nevil shute.

    & tea: celestial seasonings bengel spice. delicious.

    happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, the incorrigible children of ashton place series by maryrose wood. it's a children's series too but so so good.

    ReplyDelete