Monday, March 3, 2014

My short thoughts on the LDS church and wanting more good news.

Here is me keeping it real. Maybe you can call it me talking about my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Take it how you will.

Quite often, I am finding myself overwhelmed with the culture of the LDS church. I am weary of the way people can only seem to find fault with the church. I am weary of hearing of people leaving the church. I am weary of people complaining about the church. I am weary of the cultural divide. I am weary of hearing more negativity about the church than good stuff. There is plenty of good stuff, it's just not as fun to talk about. All of the negativity makes me feel so sad, hopeless and dark. The gospel is such good news! Why is it that all I seem to hear is bad stuff? Am I just reading the wrong stuff? Am I just talking to the wrong people? If I am not hearing about how horrible girls camp is, I am hearing about modesty opinions. And if it isn't about how scouting is the worst, it's about how some bishop just got disfellowshipped. I feel like it's becoming less cool to dedicate yourself more to the gospel. To try harder and hold yourself to a higher standard. I NEED SOME GOOD NEWS! I NEED SOMETHING POSITIVE! Anyone else feel me on this? 

I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love being apart of the Mormon church. I love that I can go to the temple, pay my tithing, take my son to scouts, have gone to girl's camp, teach my primary class and all the good stuff that comes with it. I love the leaders of my church and I love that they talk to God. I really believe that they do. I want to feel this happy about my church all the time, but sometimes it is hard to. I too often get caught up in other's opinions and ideas. And they aren't necessarily bad. There is great discussions to be had. But I believe there is a fine line, at least for me. 

So for me, I am making a new commitment. I am not going to talk negatively about my faith anymore. I want to worship more deeply. I am just going to look for the good. Call me Pollyanna if you want. I am not going to tell you what to do, but maybe join me. Let's look for the good and then pray to Heavenly Father about the bad. Let's ask His opinion, not Facebook's.

*Even I am confused about what I just wrote. Maybe you can comment and help me make sense of it. 

7 comments:

  1. I totally agree Whit. Amen to talking to God and MUCH LESS asking FB's opinion. We should be positive and we should be positively sharing! I think we are all feeling this way and in the spirit of spring and a time of renewal, it's a good time to commit to being better, happier, more hopeful, and more positive. These thoughts were worth sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hve you seen the New York Times article? Awesome! But I do think that a lot of the positive cultural reporting (as in this article) comes from people "agitating" for change. I have some great reading I think you'd like. I'd love to chat with you about it sometime, but not over comments online :) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/us/a-growing-role-for-mormon-women.html?_r=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE !!!! me too girlie ... i'm gonna commit with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Good reminder and motivation to focus on the GOOD NEWS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand what you are saying. I was on the Frontrunner Train Friday with a group of moms and kids from preschool for a field trip. I was surrounded by LDS people, but I wouldn't have known it if they didn't comment that they were members. I was saddened by the obnoxious attitudes and "loud laughter" that was used around me and mocking each other......one lady saying to a girl that was drinking coffee, "Does our Bishop know you drink coffee?" The girl replied that she was pretty sure he did and said, "Don't judge me because I sin differently than you do"....and they all laughed. It made me really sad. I thought, "Here I am, temple worthy and trying to be a good example to my son here and we were stuck listening to the "LDS" women bicker about life and the church and how "they would like a tattoo" etc. Thank you for posting this. I was just very disappointed and wondered why they weren't even Trying to do better and be a good example of a Virtuous Daughter of God. And if this doesn't make sense you can delete my comment. But this situation shocked me. You can google: "Why are Christians......" and without adding a last word, look at what is searched for most. Now Google, "Why are Mormons....." and see what funny 3 words come up. It's no wonder people don't think Mormons are Christians (for the negative connotation is has in the world).

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend just shared this post on Facebook and I just wanted to tell you that I really love it. I feel the same way. It seems like I am just bombarded with negative thinking and critical statements about the church from within and I am tired of hearing it. It is exhausting. And sad. So very, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right. On. Thank you, Whitney! Just started reading your stuff. Love your words, love that you're real.

    ReplyDelete