Thursday, June 26, 2014

Watermelon, Floaties and Rodeo

Right now, I have a little girl asleep next to me in the spot where her dada sleeps. She is breathing slow and steady with her pink silky blanket wrapped around her legs and she is wearing her brother's tie-dyed tshirt. Her feet are a little dirty and her pigtail braids are scraggley and fuzzy. She had a big day.

First, we piled into the car and headed down to Grandma Sue and Grandpa Jack's house to swim and we made a stop at Costco for a few swim day food essentials (Cheetos and watermelon). As she got out  of the car, I realized she was still wearing her pajamas and had no shoes. At 12:30 in the afternoon. I managed to remember to do her hair, but not get her dressed. Luckily her Saltwaters were in my purse (and dusted in red dirt from playing on the ball field at the outdoor movie last night).

When we got to Grandma and Grandpa's house, she was hesitant to get in the pool. She always is. She has spent every summer of her 4 years being afraid of swimming. She only ever gets in waist deep. Once she finally got in, I grabbed her. She screamed and screamed and attached herself to me like a baby monkey does to it's mother. She shook with fear, but I didn't let her go back to the steps. Eventually she eased, we put on her arm floaties and with some coaxing and crying, soon she was slowly letting go. It was a very big day for her and she was proud as can be.

After some swimming, Cheeto-eating and watching the VHS of "Parent Trap", we loaded up the car again and headed home. After a quick clothing change at home, we were off to the Lehi Roundup rodeo, as per summer tradition. A word about Lehi Roundup: it's our town's week-long summer festival and I love every minute of it. Every year during roundup, I become all twitterpated over Lehi and say things like "Ethan, I would be happy to live the rest of my life in south Lehi." or "I wish I was old Lehi. I am going to just tell people I am. I am going to tell people this is my 20th roundup."

We went to the rodeo and got rained on, but not soaked. My pansy Los Angeles-raised husband wanted to leave early because of the rain, but I didn't let him. I had to see some barrel racing. That's my favorite event. It's the only female event and I like seeing us girls represented. But I do have one beef with the Lehi Roundup rodeo. Why no mutton bustin'?

Now we are home, dried off from the rain and Violet is laying next to me. I have to make the job list for tomorrow so we can get this house into tip top clean shape and then we will brave the crowds over at the park for the boutique, some cotton candy and bounce houses. Later in the evening, we get to be in the mini float parade and throw neapolitan taffy at the crowds. Gosh, life is pretty dang good.

No comments:

Post a Comment