Friday, September 12, 2014

At the moment

At the moment:

The kids are having Friday Night Movie Night. It's one of the only traditions that we have kept up over the years. Probably because it requires nothing of me. Just keeping the Netflix queue full. It's "Nancy Drew". When Nancy rolled out her sleuthing kit, Van got all giddy. Van is a sucker for "stuff". He wants everything. Garbage, tape, scissors, someone else's Legos, gum wrappers, spoons, sticks, bandaids. His little brain is always in working mode. He is always thinking of what he can do with crap that no one else wants. Like using duct tape, a stick and snow glove to make a secret gun. I already know what he is getting for Christmas. A box with his own duct tape, scissors, string, stickers, sticks and whatever weird crap he needs to make weird crap.

Ethan is huddled over his iPad watching the Dodgers vs. Giants game. We are nearly to October which means post season which means we watch more baseball than usual. Which I am not sure how that is possible. Guys, you should all be so proud of me. I dare you to find a wife that knows more about the Dodgers than me.

I have 9 new emails in my inbox that are telling what new scripts to write. I have this new rad job where I write scripts for short educational videos for an online textbook company. I have written about everything from the Pilgrims to Hurricane Katrina. Somedays my brain is complete mush from jumping from era to era. Like was it Dwight D. Einsenhower that sailed the Mayflower? But really, this is the best job. I had started the school year thinking "What in the world am I going to do now that Violet goes to preschool and I am left to my own devices?" And then this job came to be. It couldn't be more perfect.

Speaking of jobs, Ethan got a little part time gig as a chef at a senior center in Orem. He is able to do this between catered events. He comes home with the best old people stories. Like one of the residents asking him if he is the chef on the space shuttle. Or one old lady accusing a fellow Hispanic resident of being illegal. And then another who asking for a lift down the road because "this isn't my home! They don't know me!". Poor woman has lived there for 11 years. Ethan loves this new side job and I love the new stories.

This weekend, I have big food plans. Pulled pork with a balsamic barbecue sauce, corn on the cob with sun-dried tomato butter, garlic red mashed potatoes and some pecan peach crumble with vanilla bean ice cream. You are all invited over for dessert because the imbeciles I live with don't like cooked fruit. Idiots.

1 comment:

  1. That dessert sounds heavenly- I may just have to come find you. I'm so happy for your script writing gig! The former history teacher in me thinks that sounds like a dream job!

    ReplyDelete