Monday, July 27, 2015

Team, Salmonella, Top Chef

Hey team, Whitney here. I know, it's been a while. It's been summer, baseball, swimming, more baseball, working, driving kids places they need to be, iced chai drinking, working some more, not enough traveling and endlessly feeding my kids. Gosh they eat a lot lately. But I love it. Because hello, I like to feed people. MOVING ON.

Currently my feet are up on the front room coffee table, the dishwasher is running, the washer and dryer are suddsing and tumbling, some spicy pork is simmering in the slow cooker, Ethan is at a meeting, Van is playing his Lego Avenger video game, Violet is playing with a friend outside and Jack just cruised up on his bike. It's all pretty relaxing and great.

Jack has jumped right back into baseball for fall league. He made it on to a super league team. This will be good for him. He rocked city league and was able to help his team a lot with pitching, fielding and hitting. He even got to be drafted by another team to play at the state tournament. Now, he is on an advanced team and it's very obvious he has a lot to learn. He is no longer at the top of the totem pole. For a kid who thought he was everything, this is a good humbling experience for him. He also has a coach that is just the right amount of tough and demands more of him. I love it.

Van has spent the last few weeks... on the toilet. Poor kid has had some kind of stomach bug and I actually took him to the doc this morning. After collecting a sample of his unfortunate bowel happenings, he got to have a blood test as well. Doc thinks we could be dealing with salmonella. I hope it is something simple and easy to get through. I just want Van back to his old self. Well, maybe not. Because Van threw a rock at a car during one of Jack's tournament games and the owner came and found me and we have to pay for the damage. So maybe we keep Van living next to the toilet and smelling like he is dying from the inside.

Violet told me she is most excited about art in kindergarten. Yes, my baby doll goes to kindergarten in a few weeks. I am not heartbroken. Kindergarten isn't hard for me. It's first grade that blows. All of the sudden they aren't home for lunch. I hate that. So I will be sad about Van, but Vi, I will wave her off with a smile on my face. Last night, Violet was on empty dishwasher and the boys and myself were upstairs watching Top Chef on my bed. Violet comes upstairs and says, "So um, I quit the dishwasher." I said, "Excuse me?" And she says, "Yeah, I am just not going to do the dishwasher. So I quit." Hilarious. I threatened an early bedtime and she did it.

What can I tell you about Ethan... hmmm... Well, he is working a lot, so that's fun. Good job Ethan.

As for me, I have been doing what I do best and that is holding down the fort. It's the carpooling, laundrying, meal preparing, band-aid applying, sunscreen slathering, swimsuit finding and general nagging that is required for fort holding down. I have also been working on a new project for work. I am writing about American Indian Heritage, so ask me anything about American Indians. I pretty much know it all. It's hard for to write about all of that because I start writing so passive aggressive about the U.S. government. Guys, we really did steal their land.

You may or may not have noticed that I deactivated my Facebook account. I find that it is easier for me to like people if I don't see what they write on Facebook. I would rather like people than hate them for their opinions. So Facebook had to go. Plus, it's a time waster and Instagram alone does that just fine. So Facebook, I quit. It's not you, it's me. And everyone on there.

1 comment:

  1. It's not you, it's me. And everyone on there.

    Hahaha, so true, Whitney. Sounds like you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete